Urgent jobs for February
- Check fruit fly lures for fruit flies. Continue painting eco lure bait onto branches or onto a piece of wood and place in tree. This kills both male and female fruit flies.
- Net your fruit trees including guava, feijoa, pear, apple, quince, loquat, persimmon, grape and olive plus tomatoes, eggplants and capsicums with fine net, tying tightly at the base to prevent fruit fly entry and to protect from birds.
- Spray summer vegetables with seaweed solution.
- Spray eggplant fruit with Dipel to prevent caterpillar infestation.
- Water citrus trees once or twice a week especially in extreme heat as they are shallow rooted and need water near the surface.
- Water, weed and mulch all beds to keep maximum moisture in the soil.
- Fill wicking beds weekly but daily in extreme heat.
- Prepare simple shade structures for days of very high temperatures.
- Tie raspberries to wires.
- Tie up asparagus fronds and leave until they yellow in autumn/winter before pruning to ground level.
- Harvest your fruit!
Note: blossom end rot on summer vegies is caused by under watering
Written by Robin Gale-Baker