Garlic growing hints for September
From now until 2 weeks before harvest in November – December…
- Water your garlic twice-weekly, deeply, directly onto the soil. Don’t allow soil to splash onto the plants and avoid overhead watering.
- Weed your patch.
- Mulch well with sugar cane mulch. Keep the mulch clear of the stem of each plant.
- Spray with a seaweed extract such as Seasol or Maxicrop every 3 weeks.
- Avoid nitrogen fertilisers such as blood and bone or Charlie Carp.
- If there is any sign of aphids, spray hard with the hose to remove them, at the same time trying not to spray the soil.
Written by Robin Gale-Baker
Browse our gardening tips for more ideas.